We’re really happy to report that following our application to National Lottery Awards for All, we have been awarded £10,000 towards the renovation of the Causewayhead Cemetery Building.
The aim of the project is to renovate the small building located at the entrance to the cemetery at Causewayhead, near Silloth, to provide toilet facilities and water for users of the cemetery, and to provide information about Silloth Airfield and the Commonwealth War graves for visitors to the area.
What our project will do?
- The project will preserve and restore an interesting building which can be put to better use.
- Provide accessible toilet facilities for visitors to the cemetery.
- Provide a water supply for people putting flowers on the graves of their loved ones.
- Provide shelter and a resting place for visitors to the cemetery.
- Provide interpretative displays on the history of Silloth Airfield and the Commonwealth war graves, with details of where to obtain further information.
The local community in the surrounding area will benefit from the project, as well as visitors from further afield who are visiting the cemetery. Holme Low Parish Council have secured a lease on the building which belongs to Allerdale Borough Council. Now that we are in a position to start renovating the building it is hoped to have the work completed within the next 12 months.